In New South Wales, recent changes to road accident procedure now mean that police will not be called out to minor crashes. As a result, experts are urging road users to alert their insurer as soon as they can following a crash or collision.

The changes put more emphasis on choosing the right level of personal and business insurance cover, as well as finding a car insurance package that best suits the individual or company.

According to the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA), the new NSW changes mean the police will only need to attend an accident if:

  • Someone is trapped or injured;
  • In cases of drunk or otherwise inebriated driving;
  • To direct traffic or handle hazards;
  • A truck or bus needs to be towed;
  • Someone refuses to exchange details;
  • Anyone involved is later treated for an injury.

Drivers still need to alert their insurer for immediate guidance on dealing with the situation.

Who you gonna call?

ICA’s CEO Rob Whelan recommended drivers add their insurance broker’s number into their mobile phones in case of an accident.

In an October ICA press release, Mr Whelan explained: “Even if police don’t have to attend the accident, the driver should still phone their insurer as soon as possible, especially if their vehicle needs to be towed.

“They should discuss their next steps, including moving the damaged vehicle and, if their policy allows, using a hire car while theirs is being repaired.”

Brokers also have a role to play in advising the client where to get their damaged vehicle fixed.

“Motorists should not agree to their vehicle being towed to a smash repairer nominated by the tow truck driver without first talking to their insurer,” the ICA head continued.

“The motorist should also carefully read any paperwork they are asked to sign and make sure that the choice of the destination – the smash repairer – is correctly recorded before signing.”