Being a parent is rarely an easy job. This becomes even more so if they are left open to a large bill for damage to their home.

According to a report by MORE TH>N in the UK, children will cause almost $10,000 (£5,000) of damage around the house by the time they reach 18 years of age.

This can make it particularly difficult around the Christmas period – when a child’s excitement is as high as a parent’s list of jobs – making it a struggle to keep an eye on them at all times. That is why so many people choose to protect their property with home and contents insurance.

It is only growing to be a more significant policy, too, as our homes are filled more readily with expensive technology and costly furniture.

Your insurance broker will be on hand to guide you to a package that covers for more pressing risks, though to help, MORE TH>N have ranked the most common damage children are likely to make around the house.

By surveying parents, MORE TH>N found that:

  1. Almost two-thirds (63 per cent) of parents report damage to carpet from spilled food or drink.
  2. More than one-third (35 per cent) say their children have smashed plates and crockery.
  3. One-third recorded their child drawing or painting on walls.
  4. A quarter (24 per cent) have lost vases, pictures and photo frames to breakage.
  5. Slightly fewer (22 per cent) of their little terrors have torn wallpaper from the walls.
  6. Almost a sixth of parents (15 per cent) say their kids have jumped on beds until they broke.
  7. One in 10 have suffered smashed windows.
  8. Around the same amount (9 per cent) have lost televisions after computer game-related incidents.
  9. Dangerously, 7 per cent said their child had stuffed food and drink into electrical objects.
  10. A rather high 6.6 per cent have been victim to valuables hidden in the washing machine.

Three-year-olds were found to be the most destructive, according to the report, accounting for around $1,000 of home and contents damage each year.

If this sounds like a pervasive risk in your household, discuss with your insurance broker how to cover your valuables through home and contents insurance – for those little accidents, as well as the big ones.